Friday, April 3, 2009

You don't think you're coming near me with that thing, do you? a.k.a. Harry's first haircut

Today after having a lunch date with his sister Devin, Harry got his first "real" haircut. I'm sure he'll forget this special occasion, but neither the poor hairdresser, nor I will! You see there's only one thing Harry hates more than hair dryers and hand dryers you find in public restrooms - hair clippers! Of course I knew about the hot air blowing machines, the clippers I didn't - or else I would have let Mike take him :) Actually it wasn't as bad as I'm making it sound - but when I say he shook when the clippers came within an inch of him, I'm NOT exaggerating! He did not like that! Eventually she was able to buzz the bottom 1/2 of his head, and move on to the scissor part. THAT he didn't mind so much. Eventually the tears dried and he sat long enough for her to finish up and he was free to sit and wait for Skip to be done. Of course when she took the hair dryer out and tried to blow the stray hair off his neck, he nearly shot through the ceiling..At least THAT was an optional step - one we promptly nixed. He was happy to get off the chair, and even happier when he realized there was a reward for all the trauma...a lollipop. THAT he liked. He also liked admiring himself in the mirror. Once Skip, now a veteran at this stuff, was done - both boys posed for the camera while their enjoyed their rewards. Best part was since both boys had different stylists, we were in and out in 20 minutes! Time left over to drop by the bookstore and pick up some birthday books for Abby - and then browse a bit. Something BOTH boys really like - sitting on the floor in the kid's section of Barnes & Noble and looking at all the great books that catch their eyes A haircut and book browsin'...their are worse ways to spend a rainy Friday!

Okay, this is NOT fun.
REALLY not fun!
If I stop crying, will you put that thing away?
Okay, I'm not crying...are we done?
Yep, I like this part better.
Hey, I really am one cute little boy!
So how's yours coming, Skip? I'm done!
One last peek at the handsome boy...
I'll be done in a minute too!
It wasn't so bad.
And the lollipops make it worth it! (Even though they got the same haircut - notice the difference in hair color makes in the picture)
Maybe next time I'll have them take a little more off the top!

 
Two things to note: The scar from his fall down the hill several weeks ago (in the exact same spot as Skip's scar AND his hair in the front is now all the same length and you can no longer tell he tried to cut his own hair while we were still in Russia! (His nose is still a bit friction burned from the same incident, but clearing up, slowly.)

6 comments:

  1. What an experience, this he will always remember...HEHEHE!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwww... He looks adorable!!

    I still just get such a happy feeling knowing your family is all together now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The difference in hair color really makes the cut appear totally different.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Poor Harry! AWWW. I love the photos!!!

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to hear your thoughts as we complete our journey to bring Harry home!