As I mentioned earlier, the variety of foods available in the stores has improved each visit here. The first visit almost exactly 5 years ago, the selection was meager at best. Each visit, I see improvement. This is my 7th visit, and I am amazed at how much more is available! I was happy to find a cake mix at one of the larger stores, and verifying it wasn't some funky flavor (Russia LOVES to flavor their food - apricot, raisin, bacon, ham, paprika, pear, beef) you name it - they've flavored "normal" food - I bought it.
Being the dummy I am, I got it to the apt. and realized I had no idea what ingredients to add. Irina to the rescue, and I had my instructions. First hurdle, the box says 350 degrees. The oven here, which should have been let out to pasture decades ago, has 3 settings: off, high & low. We chose low. Next hurdle - figuring out how much 60 grams & 120 ml is when you have no measuring spoons or cups. We estimated. Next hurdle - where to mix it. The only outlet in the kitchen doesn't reach the counter. There is supposed to be a small kitchen table in the room, but we relocated it to the large entry room, since the kitchen is small, and you can't fit more than 2 seats, AND it is the best room for drying laundry!
So, the amount we THINK the box said to add, resulted in a thick paste, therefore we kept adding water til it seemed to be the right consistency. Next hurdle, baking. This oven has one shelf, and it onlyl fits one pan at a time. THIS could be why the box said to divide the dry mix in half, prepare it, and bake, and repeat...
Anyway, 15 minutes later one layer is cooked. It is not quite as high and fluffy as the box shows, but then again, does ANYTHING come out looking like the box?
We've run out of time to finish the cake, as we're headed out, but stay tuned!
Sounds a bit like the time I tried to make blini from a mix when we were there... Chewy buckwheat muffins, anyone? Ah, but it makes for great memories! :-)
ReplyDeleteIsn't it funny...the strange flavors... We loved the Onion and Garlic Pringles... of course we can't buy them here. Hey! Maybe you could grab us a can. It would be great to take with us when we visit the Schattes next month. :-)
ReplyDeleteWhat is up with those stoves? And - the washers for clothes - it takes an ENTIRE day to get one load done. Did Irina explain the temp conversion to low - med - high?
ReplyDeleteWhen I was there a few years ago - I was so excited to find what looked like a DeJorno frozen pizza...it did not work out - the cheese never melted, the center never got done.
And the paprika pringles! I lived on those my first 2 trips (before they started having normal food). Since I don't eat meat, I was happy with bread and cheese - but my junk food habit was kicking in. Back then, the only place you could really find them was at one of the corner liquor stores. Our translator would't let me go up to the store to get it - she told me to 'wait' and she would purchase for me....felt like a drug deal!